ST. PETERSBURG A motel in the Feather Sound area was evacuated Friday afternoon and more than 50 firefighters responded to a fire that was likely started by a discarded cigarette, fire officials said.

A call came in about 1:15 p.m. of a fire at the Extended Stay America at 2311 Ulmerton Road, said St. Petersburg Fire Rescue Lt. Steve Lawrence, spokesman.

It took a little over an hour for the 40 units who responded to the scene to put out the flames, Lawrence said. He did not know how many people were staying at the hotel at the time, but he said all were safely evacuated.

The fire, which started on the outside of the building and then made its way inside and into the attic, was likely caused by discarded smoking material.

In these dry conditions, we get it quite often, Lawrence said. People discard it out the window or outside on their property, it gets into some dry material and ignites.

Lawrence reminded people to make sure they fully extinguish their cigarettes or use a butt can or an ashtray.

Dont just discard it into a mulch pile or dead grass and leaves, Lawrence said.

Two people were treated for possible injuries at the scene, and one of them was taken to a hospital.

The motel has a fire sprinkler system but it didnt activate because of the location of the fire, which started outside and then got into the board space on the first floor and progressed into the attic, Lawrence said.

See original here:
Feather Sound motel evacuated when fire breaks out; no one injured - Tampa Bay Times

Related Post
May 12, 2020 at 5:47 am by Mr HomeBuilder
Category: Sprinkler System